12 April 2003

Love's Serenade

Love and music are woven into the fabric of the human experience, permanent parts of the sum that defines who we are. Though who and what we love in people and music may change over time, the need for each in order to feel richly rounded and fulfilled is always there. And they got to be good!

In this poem I reference one of my favorite jazz musicians, John Coltrane. "A Love Supreme" can make you fall in love with music, and fall in love to music.


For some time now I’ve had this
-feeling-
Not just a feeling, it’s kinda
deeper than just that
-heavier than just that.
But not heavy like a burden
-weighing upon you;
heavy like a thick, down
blanket- enveloping and warm.

But anyway, this feeling always
springs to life
when I am in your presence.

I think about this feeling in me
-and I hear music.
Not just any music-
-this is our music.
I don’t mean like our song
-the first song we danced to;
nothing that surface.
This is our music
-the music that plays in
my soul
-for us.

It starts with a light, rhythmic drum beat
when I see you.
I look into those radiant
eyes of yours
and my heart becomes a
-low, throbbing bass.

You take me in your arms
and the butterflies in my
stomach dance to the expert
hands tickling the ivories.
The song is taking on a definite
slow tempo.

And as your luscious lips kiss mine a distinct
jazz tune
takes form in my head.

We undress each other to a
-slick, sexy sax…
The sultry notes seem to slither
all over my body

-Oh no, that’s your tongue-

Then as the trombone slide slips
into the groove,
you glide your way into my groove
-And the music we make
is a sensual, sexual syncopation
that rivals Coltrane, even Armstrong.

This is the most
exotic, erotic
composition that the world has
ever heard.
-but wait,
the world can’t hear it
-just me.

But if you were to lay
your head
upon my breast, and listen
-just open up your ears and
soul
and listen
I think you would hear it.
After all, you are its creator
-its reason for being.

But even if you can’t hear it
just know that it plays
-and always will play-
only in me
-only for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment