17 June 2011

contradictions

a random thought just occurred to me about one of the most basic contradictions we teach our kids everyday.

we always tell them to ask questions, be curious, investigate and explore. but then as soon as they start asking the questions we feel uncomfortable asking we tell them 'curiosity killed the cat'.

i hate that phrase. it's more morbid and creepy than the whole 'rock-a-bye baby' business. i hate it more because most don't use the longer phrase (since it would contradict their desire to shut the questions up) that 'curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back.'

but i really hate it because it goes against everything that you say when attempting to raise a child that wants to learn. it's basically a fancier way of saying 'sit down and shut up' or more pointedly 'mind your business.'

i know there are going to be uncomfortable questions for me in the years to come and i'm really hoping i'll maintain the patience to not fall back on the cliche of offing inquisitive felines.

1 comment:

  1. Well I can see where you are coming from on this. One thing I always taught my kids from small was that they should never question an adult unless they were in an uncomfortable situation. Thankfully my daughters caught on well and knew their place. I know that sounds awful but I parent the old school way. Nonetheless they are intelligent creatures and my rising high school Junior already has 2 COLLEGE credits! HOLLA!!! That was me bragging.

    You amaze me how your brain thinks about all kinds of randomly intelligent things. You rock! ;)

    ReplyDelete