29 January 2011

my little radiant child

this past wednesday night which was, I believe, day 3 of 'snowed in 2011', daddyluv and I took advantage of our Netflix membership and watched 'Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child.'

this rather intimate look into the life and sadly premature death of a passionate and artistic soul helped me to see a very important lesson that I want my child to know: the only limitation on his ability to create something great is his own failure to try.

so in that spirit we spent days 4 and 5 of 'snowed in 2011' making his first collage!!



I ripped open a cardboard box and he used crayons and markers to draw all over it. under the pictures there's a drawing of daddy, a few houses, some rainbows and LOTS of the color green.

then we went thru a bunch of old magazines (mostly parenting mags since the content tends to be toddler safe) and he got to choose whatever picture or image he liked. he got to use his safety scissors for the first time and (with me holding and guiding his hand) cut out the picture.

finally he picked the spot, smeared it with a glue stick and slapped it on! not too shabby for a kid who'll be 3 in a few months, eh!

by the way, here's the awesome drawing of daddyluv:




and joy of joys, this drawing came with a patented babyluv narrative!

‘hmm… I know! I make daddy! ok, I make a circle… eyebrows…. two eyes… a nose…. aaaand a smile! oh, I forgot…. aaaaand a mustache! there, all done!’

my little radiant child.

1 comment:

  1. Aww!! What an artsy and creative fella. He reminds me of his momma :)

    ReplyDelete