12 March 2004

Introduction

Empowered and self-actualized Woman, proud and true! This piece is spoken in the voice of all women, as a brief reminder that no matter what your background or personality, you should always come correct.

Have we met before?
I don’t think we have-
well, please, allow me to
introduce myself-
I am the many faces of
woman.
Yes, I am the clichéd-
every woman.
I am the woman who your
father
fell in love with.
The one he saw across a
crowded room and decided-
that is the woman I will marry.
The one he courted, dated,
mated with.
I am the one he started a
family with.
I am the daughter
born of that woman.
The spirited wonder child,
of hopes and dreams.
I am the bright little girl who will
be the first female
President of the United States.
I am the broad that girl
befriended.
The head cheerleader,
girlfriend of the star quarterback.
With the bouncing boobs and
ponytails…
and the bouncing baby boy
at age 17.
I am her aunt, Seductress.
The sweet auntie who kisses
your cheek-
while she lets her hand
fall into your husband’s crotch.
I am the infamous “other woman”
-the bitch who turns from
a number on your man’s pager,
to a suspicion in your heart
to a body in your bed.
Oh, yeah, I am also the nurse
who has to bandage the eye
of the bitch,
when the sister finds her
in bed with her man.
I am the activist-
with the dashiki and dred locks
like the roots of trees and skin
the color of earth.
Fist clenched and voice raised
in shouts of “Amandla!”
I am Black, White, Japanese,
Venezuelan, Apache-
Honey, I have more colors than
Tiger Woods.
I am the woman who will pick you up
and just as quickly knock you down.
I am your aspirations and goals-
and the one to keep your sons
away from.
I am beautiful and hideous.
I am the essence of femininity
in every aspect-
rolled into one body and soul.
I am a darling, intelligent, kind,
illuminating- conniving, spiteful,
backstabbin’, two-faced
hell of a woman!
Oh, and you are -?

No comments:

Post a Comment