17 December 2013

Month of Me! - Day 16



Recent discussions about a certain mega-star and her new 'feminist' stance have allowed me a moment of pause to define who I am as a feminist. I think this is important because feminism is such an over-used but under-defined term and often very misconstrued, especially when used by a Black woman.

My personal Feminism defines me as having EQUAL rights and responsibilities as a man. Not 'better' and not 'more' but equal. Done.

My feminism is one small reason why I will never follow a religion or belief system that teaches that women are lesser creatures and should be meek and obedient. But this world holds many spiritual beliefs and practices that teach the loving equality of humanity and those are my spiritual and moral guides.

My Feminism allows me to be secure in my sexuality yet aware of the over-sexualized rape culture that we live in and the damage it's doing to our youth. 

My Feminism is teaching me how to raise a son without any of the 'boys will be boys' cliches and enabling that encourages boys to be rough and insensitive with things and feelings. I don't want to raise that sort of boy to be that sort of man, the kind of man that women always complain about when they spit out the word "Men!" with snake-like venom. 

Bottom line is, my Feminism is easy, my Feminism is Humanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment